Since Beta's Bites has been a taddddd bit carb-centric lately, I'm switching gears with today's post and sharing a recipe for a healthy kale and jalapeno salad.
This is my take on a salad that I'm obsessed with from Spreads Sandwich Shop in NYC. It's simple, yet flavorful, and the jalapeno adds a nice little ka-pow to the dish. I highly recommend making it at least a few hours before you plan on serving. The longer you keep it in the fridge, the more the flavors blend and the better it tastes.
(PS, did I mention that this salad is 100% tailgate certified? A light, perfect side dish to complement all the burgers, dogs, and sausages devoured in the parking lot pre-game... plus, you can make it the night before!)
Kale & Jalapeno Salad
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and loosely chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, chiffonaded
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced (green part only)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & minced (or 1/4 cup of pickled jalapenos are a great option too!)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley OR cilantro (I prefer cilantro, but to each their own!)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Whisk together your olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.
- Toss your kale, cabbage, red onion, scallions, jalapeno and parsley in a large salad bowl.
- Pour your olive oil mixture over the salad and toss again until combined well.