Tuna salad is definitely one of those love-or-hate food items. It's right up there with licorice, mushrooms, oysters, and that weird Miracle Whip stuff that I've never tried (so strange).
I happen to be a tuna salad fan, so that's what I'm bringing you today... sorry haters (cough, cough my husband). Similar to my roasted eggplant sandwich, this is another make-ahead-to-bring-to-work staple. In fact, the tuna is even more delicious to eat after it sits in the fridge over night than it is immediately after you make it!
For those of you - like my husband - who'd rather a chicken salad sandwich than a tuna salad sandwich, feel free to sub in one boiled, shredded chicken breast for the tuna. It works just as well (or even better depending on who you ask)! This also can be a great, healthy lunch option... Just sub regular mayo for low-fat or vegan mayo. And, if you're feeling super adventurous, you could even make little lettuce wraps in lieu of bread!
Hope you enjoy!
Confetti Tuna Salad Sandwich
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon of cilantro, minced (I used 1 tablespoon, but I really like cilantro!)
- 1 dill pickle, finely diced (I used a spicy dill pickle)
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 5 oz. can of solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of your favorite bread (I used whole grain)
- Stir your bell pepper, cilantro, pickle, red onion, mayonnaise and tuna together in a medium-sized bowl. Add in a dash or two of salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide tuna mixture evenly onto two slices of bread and assemble sandwich.